Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Insoles = Happy Feet

Hey y'all!

I know my last few posts have been kind of a downer b/c they have been focused on the death of my grandma but I said my good byes and she is in a better place so it is time for me to get back to rocking the blog. :) Thanks so much for all your thoughts and prayers.

So, after pretty much two weeks of no running from my foot, I called a recommended foot doc who couldn't see me for another week so I hung up the phone with him and picked up the phone and called my good friends Susan and Jason Zehner who have told me about their luck with supportive insoles. Jason worked for along time at an outdoor outfitter and worked in their shoe dept so I knew he would know the 411. After a long email/phone call chain involving a lot of me describing my foot pain much like you would describe a car to your mechanic - "it makes this weird clicking noise when I am in 5th gear" but instead I am saying "if I twist it to the right, it hurts really bad but in the stationary position it doesn't hurt at all" - he told me I should give inserts a shot and see if that helps.

I went to our local running store - Fleet Feet - and got a pair of Sole insoles (cute name huh) - they felt really weird when I just had them on in the store but she said I would get used to them - I just needed to give it some time to break them in. Breaking in requires you put them in the oven (yes, the oven) at 200 degrees for two minutes, place them immediately in your shoe and stand still, feet forward for 2 minutes and then wear them for 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours over the next three days before you run.

If you are still awake....:) here is the cool thing:

I NO LONGER HAVE ANY ANKLE OR HEEL PAIN!!

It is 100% gone. In fact, the circulation in my feet is amazing! I was barefoot today for a few minutes and normally (over the last couple weeks) I would have pain when I was barefoot but today my feet felt normal.

The key test will be when I take them out for a jog which I will try to do tomorrow. Will keep you posted. If any of you are having any foot/ankle issues, you might want to check them out. They are only $35 which is less than my copay to the doc. :)

And in other news, we joined the country club directly across the street from my office which means I will be reviving my lunch workouts again. I will literally walk across the street to workout. I am so excited! Watch out - who knows what will happen! :) The fire that has been burnt out it starting to light up again...I can feel it.

1 hour bike ride tonight - felt great! My cardio is crappy but I got out there and did it. :)
Keep on kicking ass everyone!
Jess

5 comments:

Kelly Olexa said...

Girl now I'm gonna smack YOU!! An hour bike ride is great cardio!!

You are on FIYUH!!!!

;-)

KaliLilla.com said...

Great blog! I found you through Kelly's blog. That's your pic thanking the Academy? You look amazing! I'm officially jealous. ;)

Lilla

Visionquester said...

Congrats on the foot! I actually have been debilitated by my ankle tendon as well lately.. just been using Motrin though...

These inserts may be just the thing.

Happy to hear you are bringing your "A" game girl.

~C.

Cathy said...

No pain chica....so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Interesting post.! Shoe insoles are always very useful and relieve back pain.