Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Weekend & Contract with Myself

I think one of the hardest things about the weekend is that we are truly out of our routine. I slept until 9am today (flat tire has been filled) and cleaned most of the afternoon. I had a killer back and bicep workout - did about 8 sets of pull ups (slight assist) super setted with seated cable rows and single arm cable lat row. Then did isolated bicep curls on the swiss ball and corkscrew biceps curls and finished off with 10x10s of olympic straight bar bicep curls. Smoked I am. I ate perfect too...and will hit the stationary bike for at least 45 minutes tonight. Sa weet!!

I have been thinking a lot about the long term challenges of competition. And I started thinking about this more after reading Visionquester's blog comment from yesterday about feeling sorry for herself :(. I think the cyclical nature of competing makes for a challenging long term commitment and the psychology of being a figure competitor. Jody has recently been trying to get me to concentrate on triathlons and endurance sports and quite frankly, I don't like the bodies of endurance athletes. They are too skinny and not well defined enough for my tastes (yes Jody, I know Desiree Ficker is a hottie). On the other hand, I also struggle with the ups and the downs of competing. Don't get me wrong, I am in it to win it for nationals, but I also know without a doubt that I will not be rebounding the same way after this next show.

I am a little bummed that I didn't keep better track of my weight and my progress during contest prep because it would be great to reference as I start my road back. But this is why I have a blog! Thanks Visionquester for getting me off my butt. :)

My contract with myself is that I will not allow myself to get above 18% BF or around 122lbs ever again (unless I get knocked up). Again, I use this body fat percentage as a marker but the net is that I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the way I feel right now. My clothes don't fit right, I don't feel good when I look in the mirror, heck I don't even want to go out as much because I have to think about what I am going to wear. Arghhh. It's just not worth it. Now, when I add the muscle I plan to add, I will be ok with my weight being higher but right now, 18% is the absolute top of the BF scale I want to be at...but ultimately 16% will be my goal and what I will be at for all of 2008.

From one of my favorite movies, "Never give up, never surrender!".
Jess

2 comments:

Ms. Anne said...

Wad up, sis? I am glad I read your blog. It was very sweet! Im proud of ya. Hey, take your digital pic with you everywhere so you can have sweet pics of you working out at the gym to put on your blog.

Love,
Anner

Jessica said...

Thanks Anner...good call on the camera. I will take some pics fo sho. Love and keep on reading this thing. :)