Thursday, December 6, 2007

Awesome: Not Moving....Not Awesome: Going Down Stairs

After reading Em's post about Awesome/Not-Awesome, I vowed to do my own awesome/not awesome post and after being tortured by Debbie, I realized this is the PERFECT time for awesome/not awesome.

Awesome: Sitting very still - literally, not moving a muscle.
Not awesome: Walking down stairs and looking like a robot b/c I can't bend my legs.

Awesome: Knowing that I am changing my body with workouts like I had on Tuesday!
Not awesome: Avoiding certain physical activities with my hubby b/c of how bad my legs hurt.

Awesome: Feeling like 40 weeks is PLENTY of time.
Not awesome: The dog jumping into my lap and me screaming out in pain as his paws dug into my thighs.

Enough of awesome/not awesome. You get the idea.

I am so excited to workout with Debbie...she is amazing. Working with her makes me think of one of the most profound things I read in Seven Habits of Highly Effective people. Stephen (Covey) was talking about planning and patience and used farming as a great analogy for planning and long term goal setting. Farmers know it would be futile to try to move a crop along faster than what nature allows...they know that in order to have a crop in the fall, they must plant in the spring - no exceptions.

Preparing for a competition is very similar to planting a crop and farming...the work takes place long before the crop is harvested and that is the most important part of the whole process - the long hours of working out, cardio and eating right...it will all result in a great stage package (crop). I must have patience and I must plan.

Next workout with Debbie - 5:15Am tomorrow. Listen carefully (you may hear me scream :)).

Jessica

8 comments:

Dofitness said...

I LOVED your blog today, it put the biggest smile on my face...AWESOME: that you feel Tuesday's workout. AWESOME: that you are excited about going to another level and that you know you will be ready in 40 weeks. AWESOME: that you are stepping up to any challenge that is in front of you. YOU ARE A FIGHTER THAT SAYS, BRING IT BECAUSE I WILL STEP UP AND BUST IT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN...NO MATTER WHAT-And that is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

Jessica,
I liked that part of the book as well. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.”
~Muhammed Ali

Jessica said...

That is a fantastic quote...I also love these to quotes: "Character is doing what's right when no one is looking." and "Quality means doing it right when no one is looking.” So, I am making my own quote: "Commitment to fitness is the intensity at which you work out when no one is looking."
Whoa, writing my own quotes now. Cool. :)

Anonymous said...

I imagine someone is looking.....Elaine Goodlad (I don't know why I use her), Rebecca Slatt, Valerie. I imagine one of them has just walked through the door of the gym while I am bench pressing or something and it's amazing how strong I get.

I should play that game whenever I am stuffing my face. "Hey Val, care to share this loaf of bread with me???"

C.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jessica,
I'm also interested in your PN review.
C.

Anonymous said...

Great post. 40 weeks. You have way more than enough time girl. I had never heard that farmer analogy. Pretty cool.So are you using PN?????Krissa

Power Authority said...

I wish I knew Debbie better...

Who is this phenom??? Probably the most fit and humble chic I know...

Awesome: Debbie
Not Awesome: The Others....(sorry to the others)

Ok, enough using this space for my own personal love for Debbie!

Dofitness said...

Awe, I just happen to come across your comment on this blog from Jess. You have always been so nice to me. That was so sweet, I really do appreciate all the nice things you say to me. I think you are doing great and you are truly awesome yourself. Thanks for putting the biggest smile on my face POWER AUTHORITY.